Fort Atkinson was the first United States Army post to be established west of the Missouri River in the United States. Located just east of present-day Fort Calhoun, Nebraska, the fort was erected in 1819 and abandoned in 1827.
The site is now known as Fort Atkinson State Historical Park.
Located at Fort Calhoun, the fort was important to the early fur trade, river traffic and Indian relations.
Much of the historic outpost has been reconstructed, and interpretive work continues. Living history demonstrations are scheduled periodically during the summer.
The grounds are open year-round, and the Harold W. Andersen visitor center is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the summer.
View Larger Map
Fort Atkinson (Nebraska), from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Fort Atkinson State Historical Park. Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
Image source: Fort Atkinson State Historical Park, Wikipedia, public domain.